Wednesday 1 April 2015

Banoi

Banoi is undoubtedly the trendiest place in Docklands and has done well to differentiate itself from the 3 other Vietnamese joints within a 100 metre radius. I'd have to say it does a pretty good job at holding its own on the food against them too. The lunch special is the highlight here. Nowhere else can you get a sharing platter of sorts for one with pho, spring rolls, half a roll and a drink. Great value for the variety at 15 dollars.

Lunch special $15 - Half of Vietnam
The pho was according to the Viet at the table 'just like my mums'. The spring rolls were a different style to what I'm accustomed to but I enjoyed the extra cruchiness in this variety. The roll itself was perhaps not as good as Vintams, but that's a stupidly high bar to compare to. Unfortunately for them they're around the corner so the comparison had to be made. The mini baguette element was a bit crispier than I'd prefer it to be. I eat too many viet rolls so I'd imagine most people would be very pleased with it.

Iced Coffee as part of lunch deal + Coconut & red bean smoothie $4.5
One piece of advise is to ask for takeaway cups. Look how cute they are! The iced coffee surprised me. I'd been forced into it as part of the special but this is one of the best I've had. I think iced coffees are normally for those who don't really like coffee and have a huge dollop of ice-cream to further aid in desguising the flavour. This though was legit coffee with the bitter tones simply mellowed by the numbing ice. Smoothie was cool too.

Slow cooked pork belly $4.0 - cucumber, candied chillis, dijon & hoisin sauce
This bao is listed under a section titled 'tacos'. Bit odd in my opinion. Anyway, it's superb. The pastry tastes exactly the same as Wonderbao's. The pork was sooo soft and succulent with the hoisin as always being a great match.

Rice Paper Rolls $7.5 - Grilled chicken with garlic and honey soy
Quality rice paper rolls with a very good house made sauce. Cutting them in half works really well for presentation, I'm not accustomed to these actually looking appetising. These looked as good as they tasted.

Steamed buns $2.5 each - BBQ pork and vegie
Not a bad price for these, close enough to Nam Loong's infamous $1.80 option. I can only speak for the pork and wow was it flavoursome. It had the tangyness and the moisture I want from these bad boys. A definite go to for anyone in need of a quick snack in Docklands.

Slow cooked pork belly, Tempura soft shell crab, Grilled garlic and soy chicken
I shamelessly went back for more of the 'tacos' the next day. Pork was definitely the best though. Chicken certainly worthwhile too ;)
End verdict: Where else is there to have a sit down meal in Docklands? nowhere (ok maybe pok pok) but this place is king for now.

Banoi on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment