Tuesday 31 March 2015

Middle Fish

Delicious Southern Thai cuisine is dished up in Middle Fish by some of the friendliest waiters I've ever come across. I can not emphasize enough just how welcoming they were as the staff really embraced the family teamwork ethos. To round the package off the setting is exceptional. Based in a former warehouse, the character of the place really shines through with the exposed brick walls, lofty ceilings and commissioned artwork all coming together to create something worthy of an episode of Grand Designs.

Four years ago I literally lived around the corner from Middle Fish and it was probably the first non student-bargain-fest restaurant I desired to visit. It took a long time to overcome my seemingly unending desire for mcdoubles but eventually I ended up back on Berkeley Street. I was however always far too drawn to indulge myself in Seven Seeds. Middle Fish really is on the same level though. Worth noting is that they apparently had a new menu here when I visited. That menu is ridiculously long, you'll spend ages choosing.


Iced tea with condensed milk $3.5
As I have shamefully allowed to happen too many times. I visited the place a month ago and am fuzzy on the details ie. the captions could be off. As could everything else tbh. First off though, the iced tea was amazing! It had just the right amount of sweetness from the condensed milk to ensure it was straight up delicious but not enough to change the texture to something heavier and more desert like.

Kai Jiew $14.50 - Omelette with spring onion, tofu & toasted sesame seeds on white rice.
As it wasn't long after becoming afternoon, I felt a traditional breakfast option should be on the cards. The Kai Jiew can be had with chicken or tofu. As I don't use too much tofu in my cooking my decision might've been made on a perceived requirement to compensate. It was a good decision. The dish was hearty and had just what you need to set you up for a long day. Flavours blended well but I guess that's to be expected in a traditional dish.

Ka Nhom Jeen $16 - Crispy fried soft shell crab, vermicelli noodle with carrots & southern Thai curried fish broth


The first curry we picked out was apparently hot af so reverted to a milder soft shell crab option. At the moment I swear ssc is a way over hyped burger filling. This was a good use of the meat. Thais just know how sweet, sour and salt should fuse together and this is a fine example.

End verdict: Walk past the doors of Seven Seeds and venture into this place sometime, you won't regret it.
Middle Fish on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Did you read the other blogs before deciding on what to get with this place? Sometimes that helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally, I usually do have a look online before going somewhere but this was actually an impromptu visit as my original nearby destination had a ridiculous line ;)

      Delete