Tuesday 14 April 2015

Chez Dre

I just keep on coming back to this place. Chez Dre has everything one looks for in a cafe. The rustic upcycled ambiance is done to a tee and as too is the food, time after time. South Melbourne certainly has a lot of options, likely due to the yummy mummy gatherings around the market. Although there are apparently good alternatives in the vicinity I've found myself just drawn here over and over for some reason. It started off as a place I'd treat myself to if I did well in a uni exam taken down the road, now it's my go to for when I need to head somewhere where the quality is guaranteed. South of the river that is ;)

Man I love my new phone
Outdoor section for summer arvos
I have to give them props for the coffee cup below. I mean whaaa, it's a cup within a cup! The cynical side of me says it's so that you get less. Obviously that's not the case and it's just amazingly pretty.

Batch brew coffee $3.5 - nkora -bourbon - rwanda coe winner 2013 (OK, no idea what this stuff means)
Salmon rillettes $19.5 - beetroot relish, caperberries, poached eggs, beetroot crisps & toasted sourdough
I was in a salmon mood to compensate for my meaty sins on Good Friday. The blend of flavours was intense. The smooth gentle tones of salmon built upon by the twisting complexions offered up by the eggs and beetroot relish then given a kick of bitterness from the caperberries. All came together for a well fed Reid
Duck Sandwich $23.5 - confit pulled duck, onion jam, red cabbage, grated apple, truffle mayonnaise & panini
Having had this myself not that long ago, one thing that jumps out is the bread used has changed. A good call as it was a bit softer which led to it becoming soggy. The crispiness with the new choice added an extra element. A great slaw made this ever so filling sandwich yum. I won't lie, I don't normally really like side salads. They just make you feel less guilty about your gluttony. This dressing drenched side was actually very good.

Beautifully presented collection
The before image
My mind had been set on something else but when I got to the desert counter I saw this little beauty. Sah cute. Couldn't resist it. Check out the layers crafted below and you just know those flavour elements blend baby.
Lychee, raspberry & coconut $9.5 - coconut dacquoise, lime curd, raspberry jelly, lychee mousse
End Verdict: Place to bring parents when visiting. Or a place to come everyday.

Chez Dré on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment